Friday, October 3, 2008

Food For Thought Friday


My dear friend Cindy really came up with the title for this entry. I have to write what my amazing Lord gifted my heart with this morning during my personal bible study. To give the appropriate credit this is a Charles Stanley study that I am doing for Sunday school. "Living the Extraordinary Life" is for me the perfect study for the crossroads I now find myself facing. God in His wisdom already knew that! I have to share with you the sections that moved mountains inside me this morning and has brought light to the question "WHY"? I pray as I type that not only will this continue to comfort & guide me, but that God will guide me with His wisdom to pass this awakening on appropriately to Tony & Grace. From my study:

"God always does what is best for us. If we really believe this, we will trust Him even in our most difficult trials. Satan, who works to undermine our trust, often takes advantage of adversity by calling the Father's motives into question. He whispers, "If the Lord really loved you, He would not have allowed this to happen"-he wants us to associate the sting of spiritual discipline with a lack of divine caring. However, the exact opposit is true. Hebrews 12:6 tells us, "Those whom the Lord loves He disciplines, and He scourges every son whom He receives." So, while natural thinking says peace and happiness are tokens of God's love, the Bible says difficulty and discipline are actually evidence of our membership in His family. The reason is clear: God cares for us so much that He will not allow us to stay as we are. Instead, He wants to transform us into the likeness of His Son.

However, while God completely understands every situation, He is under no obligation whatsoever to inform us of the rationale for His actions or decisions. Because He is infinitely wise, He simply cannot make a mistake! Proverbs 3:5-6, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths."

Although we must never look at someone else's situation and presume why God allowed a calamity, we should regard our tragedies and afflictions as reasons to inquire of the Lord, "What are You trying to say?" Ask Him what He wants to tell you, and then listen, not simply to hear but to OBEY. Because of His great love for you and His desire to give you a hope and a future, God is always reaching toward you. God answers even the most fervent prayers by denying our request when our desires are not in sync with His. God loves everybody equally, but He has different purposes for each life(2 Samuel 12:16-18)!
Thank you so much my wonderful, amazing & beautiful Creator. The healing of Your love sustains me like no other. Please continue to show me Your wisdom and help me never question that wisdom again, Amen.

Jo






9 comments:

Dave said...

thanks for sharing that - there is an awful lot of encouragement in those words

Dawn said...

Jo,

I couldn't have used this entry at a better time. What a wonderful message you got and thank you so much for sharing it. Praying for you during this hard time!
Faithfully In Him,
Dawn
Waiting for Leah, AWAA

everythingismeowsome said...

Hi, I linked over to your blog from Room for at Least One More. I have scrolled down and read about your precious Anna with tears running down my face. I will certainly keep your family in my prayers. I also want to thank you for posting this part of your devotion here. I have a friend going through an adoption that is having a "WHY GOD??" moment, and I hope these words will be a comfort to her.
In Christ,
Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Jo,
You don't know me. I was connected to your blog from Leslie's blog. We've been praying for Susannah (who we don't know either but another blog friend passed along her site)and I want you to know that I am praying for you today. I don't know all your needs, but thankfully, our Father in heaven does. He can and will provide for all your needs. As I read through just a few of your entries, I praise God for the strength that He has given you to praise Him through such a difficult time. You are the child of the King and you are acting very "royal" right now.
We are a waiting family and the Lord has blessed us so much in our waiting by connecting us to other Christian adoptive families. Thank you for being obedient to our Lord.
Melissa

Tiffany said...

Adoption is such an amazing journey...I will pray for your family.

Blessed Mom of Four AND More said...

Another sister in the LORD who saw your story on Leslie's blog. I thank the LORD that you are allowing Him to speak to your heart, and that He is comforting you through the words of Dr. Stanley. Praise the LORD, you are willing to share how he speaks, and continue to encourage others.
Blessings,
Robbie

Cindy said...

Jo, We should have called this "Food for Faith Friday," as it really fed my faith when you read it to me...and it has better illiteration:). This is one of those things I need to come back and read every once in a while during this season of my life, so I'm so glad you posted it here.
LOVE YOU!
Cindy

Wife of the Pres. said...

Jo, Please keep posting on your blog when God lays it on your heart. I really believe you are ministering to so many more than you know. Your REALNESS and VULNERABILITY are true character traits that our Father gave to you for this season. I love you friend and admire your courage more than you'll ever know,
Leslie

Jesse, James and Lindsey's mom said...

I have not been here for a bit. I again, want to offer my deepest sympathies to you and your family. I will be saying some prayers during this upcoming holiday season. I am approaching my daughter's 3 yr anniverary of meeting Jesus. The pain lessens but there are days that it just blows you away. Your post really helped me tonight!
Blessings
Kathy T
www.lindseyli.blogspot.com